By Alice Shepherd
This quantity represents a reconstruction of Proto-Wintun, the guardian language of a bunch of California Indian languages. It contains a grammatical cartoon of Proto-Wintun, cognate units with reconstructions and an index to the reconstructions. The booklet fulfills a necessity for in-depth reconstructions of proto-languages for California Indian language households, either for theoretical reasons and deeper comparability with different proto- or pre-languages.
Read or Download Proto-Wintun (University of California Publications Linguistics Vol. 137) PDF
Similar native american books
1st ed. 8vo. xii, 238 pp. close to excellent, tight, contents fresh, the covers have a few recognizing and backbone fade.
Amer-European cost of the good Plains reworked bountiful local soil into pasture and cropland, distorting the prairie surroundings that the peoples who initially populated the land had lengthy understood and have been in a position to use properly. Settlers justified this change with the unexamined premise of deficiency, in accordance with which the gigantic region of the nice Plains used to be insufficient in natural world and missing within the advances of recent civilization.
Regardless of the lengthy human background of the Canadian important arctic, there's nonetheless little ancient writing at the Inuit peoples of this tremendous sector. even though archaeologists and anthropologists have studied historical and modern Inuit societies, the Inuit global within the the most important interval from the sixteenth to the twentieth centuries continues to be principally undescribed and unexplained.
- Bloody Falls of the Coppermine: Madness and Murder in the Arctic Barren Lands
- Graham Greene's Narrative Strategies: A Study of the Major Novels
- Standing Bear and the Ponca chiefs
- Irish and Scottish Encounters with Indigenous Peoples: Canada, the United States, New Zealand, and Australia
- The Trail of Tears: Removal in the South
Additional info for Proto-Wintun (University of California Publications Linguistics Vol. 137)
Note the following forms: *-r, genitive case > P -y, pronominal genitive and inalienable possessive case Phonology 19 *p’uri, nipple; *p’uru, seep > PK p’oy, nipple, but PCC p’uri, a seep *qh ur, dislike > PCC kh uw i, to hate, PH-U kuy i, not like a food *8’ir, roast > PK 8’il-, 8’ir-, roast, scorch *§i·r§ir, sparrowhawk > PCC, K, T §it§it; PR §i ’it, SP §it’it * ’iri, distribute liquid substance > PR t’idi/u, sprinkle, squirt, but PCC t’irlaki, to sprinkle one time *xurxur, sugar > PK khuykhuy *lur, shin > PCC lu·l *lor, grind > PK lolth i/u, grind, but PCC and PR lori/u 265.
276. ph ::b *ph em ? *bam ? grasp in one or both hands; W bam, put, arrange, part (hair), carry, close with hands (cf. bam, fist); PCC phemtaro, carry (held in one or both hands, grasped); H-U (peru·) ph emta, choke (someone; lit. throat grasp). P may have Phonology 21 analogized with §emi/u-, hold in arms (see *§imit), but this does not explain the ph. Again, perhaps W has merged two originally separate roots. 277. w::n *nal ? *wal ? lick; W walikna·, animal to lick itself; sem walikna·, to lick one’s fingers; N-BW nal’-, nel’-, lick; PCC nala·ko, to take a taste of; K nal-, na·l-, lick; R nal-, lick.
260. Sound Changes: Patwin and South Patwin 261. ) q’ kh t th t’ h ’ s k kh k’ h t th t’ h ’ s k kh k’ If PW *xE existed, its P reflex h is of course not fronted. It is possible that a fronting of *xE originally resulted in P x, which was then replaced by h rather than merged with s from PW *x. 262. PK Aspiration In almost all sets with initial *k, PK shows aspirated h where the other P dialects have the regular unaspirated obstruent. This may mean that K was in the process of merging with h.
Proto-Wintun (University of California Publications Linguistics Vol. 137) by Alice Shepherd