By Michael Erard
In Babel No More, Michael Erard, “a monolingual with benefits,” units out on a quest to fulfill language superlearners and make experience in their psychological powers. at the manner he uncovers the secrets and techniques of old figures just like the nineteenth-century Italian cardinal Joseph Mezzofanti, who used to be stated to talk seventy-two languages, in addition to these of dwelling language-superlearners akin to Alexander Arguelles, a modern day polyglot who is aware dozens of languages and exhibits Erard the tips of the exchange to offer him a dismal glimpse into the lifetime of obsessive language acquisition.
With his formidable exam of what language is, the place it lives within the mind, and the cultural implications of polyglots’ ambitions, Erard explores the higher limits of our skill to benefit and use languages and illuminates the highbrow power in every body. How perform a little humans get away the curse of Babel—and what may perhaps the gods have demanded of them in go back?
Read Online or Download Babel No More: The Search for the World's Most Extraordinary Language Learners PDF
Best linguistics books
Language is critical to our lives, the cultural software that arguably units us except different species. a few scientists have argued that language is innate, a kind of special human 'instinct' pre-programmed in us from beginning. during this booklet, Vyvyan Evans argues that this acquired knowledge is, actually, a fable.
It is a complete and exact introductory Korean textbook and language studying package.
Korean is now the fifteenth most well-liked language taught at American universities. This re-creation of simple Korean, the main accomplished and particular introductory Korean textbook to be had, bargains starting beginners of Korean every thing they should study the language successfully. excellent for a first-year university-level path use or for the self sufficient language learner. No earlier wisdom of the language is necessary.
The new structure, now with dozens of illustrations, offers Korean vocabulary and Korean grammar in an obtainable and comprehensible demeanour whereas huge conversations and workouts aid to augment the Korean language and construct interpreting and listening comprehension.
This variation includes:
• An MP3 audio CD and committed website.
• wealthy and hugely nuanced examples with fresh illustrations.
• distinctive yet on–technical grammar notes, plentiful writing routines with an accompanying solution key.
• precise examples of real dialogue.
• hugely technical grammar notes.
• lots of writing practice.
• Dialogues, studying texts, and written routines are in Hangul, the Korean alphabet, so scholars are quick capable of learn and write actual Korean. Layered classes are designed to construct on one another, making Korean effortless to profit from the preferred introductory
• Korean language textbook to be had. incorporated is a revised audio CD that is helping rookies to talk like a local, and a web based perform part during the college of British
• Columbia which can support scholars to benefit Korean even past the pages of this ebook.
• in keeping with the trendy Language organization, enrollment in Korean in American universities is growing to be rapidly.
on hand individually is the significant other effortless Korean Workbook. this useful workbook will help you in working towards and sprucing your Korean language abilities. each one lesson vitamins the corresponding lesson within the textbook. There are ten actions in keeping with lesson, providing more than a few workouts and perform possibilities to show you how to in attaining talent in daily, conversational Korean.
Unique writing, together with telling of conventional tales, in Tanaina Athabaskan with interlinear and prose English translations.
- Disney's World Of English. Book 02
- Vergleichendes Wörterbuch der indogermanischen Sprachen
- English Historical Linguistics 2010: Selected Papers from the Sixteenth International Conference on English Historical Linguistics (ICEHL 16), Pécs, 23-27 August 2010
- Fences in Breathing
- Modality and Its Interaction with the Verbal System (Linguistik Aktuell Linguistics Today, LA 47)
Additional resources for Babel No More: The Search for the World's Most Extraordinary Language Learners
MIT Press. 1998. "Minimalist Inquiries: The framework". MIT Occasional Working Papers in Linguistics 15, Department of Linguistics and Philosophy, MIT. Cinque, Guglielmo. 1980. "On Extraction from NP in Italian". 47-99. Couquaux, Daniel. 1981. "French Predication and Linguistic Theory". Levels of Syntactic Representation ed. by Robert May and Jan Koster. Dordrecht: Foris. 33-64. Danlos, Laurence. 1992. 1-32. DiSciullo, A. Maria and Sara Rosen. 1990. "Light and Semi-Light Verb Constructions".
Zabala, Igone. 1993. Predikazioaren Teoriak Gramatika Sortzailean Euskararen kasua. D. Dissertation. ON THE WEIGHT OF LIGHT PREDICATES* IGNACIO BOSQUE Universidad Complutense, Madrid 1. Introduction The grammatical properties of so-called 'light verbs' have proved to be very relevant for our understanding of the syntax of complex predicates. These verbs (as take in take a walk; make in make a promise or pay in pay a visit) lack argument structure. They exhibit tense and agreement features and assign case to their DP complement, but they have a very abstract meaning (close, in fact, to that of the verb do).
This contrast suggests that siempre cannot modify events, whereas cada día does, (i) Tu [llegada cada día] alegra a los niños. " (ii) *Tu [llegada siempre] alegra a los niños. your arrival always makes-happy to the children THE INTERPRETATION OF FOCUS FEATURES 43 (11) ARROZ come la familia. " On the one hand, stress-focus does not entail obligatory movement, as shown in (12). Cleft-focusing, on the other hand, does involve obligatory movement, as shown in (13). (12) a. b. (13) a. b. La familia come CARNE.
Babel No More: The Search for the World's Most Extraordinary Language Learners by Michael Erard